Is Your City on the Bed Bug List?
Are you wondering if bed bugs are a real problem in the city you live in? There is, in fact, a list that shows where the biggest number of such incidents occur.
A leading report ranked the Top 10 Bed Bug Cities in a Global News report, a ranking of metro areas based on the number of treatments the pest control company performed.
The Top 10 cities are:
- St. John’s
- Scarborough, Ont.
To protect your home and avoid becoming part of this growing statistic, here are tips to ensure your home does not require pest treatment in Edmonton.
A growing concern
- Whereas 10 years ago bedbugs were almost unheard of, there is now a significant number of occurrences happening in all developed nations including Canada, the U.S and Europe.
- These pests are starting to become a real challenge, and are not limited by geography. In the United States, both large and mid-sized cities are included in the top 50 list.
- What this means is that no matter where you live, you are not exempt from needing to be on the watch for these pests. As pest control professional in Canada can attest, incidents are now common.
- Contrary to intuition,it’s a myth that bed bugs are evidence of poor hygiene or cleanliness. No matter how clean the environment is, they can survive as long as their food source, your blood, is available. To illustrate how little the cleanliness of a home matters, these critters have been found everywhere from million-dollar homes to public housing.
- These pests are also good travelers. They canlatch onto luggage, purses and other items during travel. And they not only reside in bedrooms, as their name implies. Bed bugshave been found at movie theaters, in public transportation, offices and libraries.
Tips to detect bed bugs
- It’s important to be on the watch for signs of these pests. Spotting them early on can make it possible to avoid a larger infestation.
- They can be difficult to spot because fully grown, they are only the size of an apple seed. Besides seeing the bugs themselves, it is also possible to note the small dark stains they leave on bedding and sheets.
- One necessary action is to inspect your home regularly, especially around the bed. Decreasing clutter can help as it will give the bugs fewer places to hide and make it more likely that you will spot the signs of their presence.
- A couple more tips: when washing your bedding, dry linens on high heat; any time you bring new furniture into the home, make sure to inspect it thoroughly.
- Another important time to be vigilant is when staying at hotels. Survey hotel rooms while traveling by examining the mattress, box spring and other furniture. Store your luggage away from the wall and examine your luggage while repacking. When arriving home after travels, place clothing in the dryer on the highest setting.
- If you suspect an infestation, it’s best to call a pest control company for bed bug removal in Edmonton, as soon as possible.
We have over 50 years of experience in the Pest Industry!